Apple Butter Spice Muffins
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup apple butter
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. Line 12 standard(2 1/2 inch) muffin cups with paper baking cups.
2. Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in large bowl. Toss 2 tbsp sugar mixture with pecans in small bowl and set aside. Add flour, baking powder and salt to remaining sugar mixture.
3. Whisk milk, oil and egg in medium bowl. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
4. Spoon 1 tbsp batter into each prepared muffin cup. Spoon 1 tsp apple butter into each cup. Spoon remaining batter evenly over apple butter. Sprinkle evenly with reserved pecan mixture.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan and cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely. Makes 12 muffins.
From Fall Baking 2011